| 24 October, 2015 09:39
We painted a small painting keeping in mind what we learned from studying Van Gogh's watercolors. Yes, he painted close to 150 of them that are known!
What we learned:
- Van Gogh often used tinted paper
- Most were painted with earth tones
- Van Gogh extensively used calligraphic markings
- Many of Van Goghs's shapes are outlined and hard-edged
- Most painting was done wet-on-dry
Two examples of Van Gogh's watercolors:
Assignment and results:
We painted from this photo of an abandoned ferris wheel keeping what we had learned in mind:
Here are some of the results, painted on gray-tinted pastel paper. Pretty amazing!